My apologies for the sudden instability of my blog. I've managed to make a hash of an update on the main Wordpress site when I tried to update to a newer PHP version and had to switch to the Jekyll "backup" site that isn't quite production ready yet.
Ben Simon has a post up on his blog describing how he set up a scheme development environment on his Galaxy S9 Android phone. It was also an especially timely post as I had been eyeing a Mac Quadra with a Symbolics Lisp Machine extension card on eBay. As if we needed another reminder just how powerful current phones have become!
I did have to learn some Prolog when I was studying CS and back then it was one of those "why do we have to learn this when everybody is programming in C or Turbo Pascal" (yes, I'm old). For some strange reason things clicked for me quicker with Prolog than Lisp, which I now find quite ironic given that I've been using Emacs for since the early 1990s.
I've been meaning to post this link for quite a while now but keep forgetting to do so. If you are planning to store geospatial data in MongoDB, the database offers you a variety of ways to deal with geospatial-specific data storage and queries.
Saw the announcement on on the GNU Emacs mailing list this morning. Much to my surprise, it's also already available on homebrew. So my Mac is now sporting a new fetching version of Emacs as well :). I've been running the release candidate on several Linux machines already and was very happy with it, so upgrading my OS X install was pretty much a no brainer.
I've previously blogged about using Emacs to convert line endings and use it as an alternative to the dos2unix/unix2dos tools. Using set-buffer-file-coding-system works well and has been my go-to conversion method.